Thursday 7 July 2011

Nearer my love to thee


Nearer my love to thee

Nearer and nearer, the hiss of the steam
Bringing me nearer to the start of a dream
Of a love that started a long time ago
We were very young and didn’t know,

When the dreadful war started
They would take you away,
my soul was aching,
my heart died that day

I didn’t expect to see you again
I’d lost you my love, my heart full of pain
But I had to move on and live my life
Knowing I’d never be your wife

Then that fateful day the mailman arrived
The letter said that you were alive
You were sick in hospital, calling for me
The war was over they set you free

I’d be by your side now if I had wings
My soul is alive, my joyful heart sings
As the train speeds me on nearer to you
Anticipation of a love still true

Nearer my love to thee

© Mavis O’Sullivan 2002

No comments:

Post a Comment